I have just completed reading Goforth of China by Roaslind Goforth. This is the second edition published March, 1938 and it was given to me by one of my children. I have read other books about Jonathan Goforth, but this book has made a deep impression on me.
In the appendix are excerpts from letters received after Dr. Goforth went to Heaven. One of these excerpts contained Jonathan Goforth’s seven rules for daily living. These were made by Dr. Goforth in 1894 and were written in the fly-leaf of his Bible.
- Seek to give much – expect nothing.
- Put the very best construction on the actions of others.
- Never let a day pass without at least a quarter of an hours spent in the study of the Bible.
- Never omit daily morning and evening private prayer and devotion.
- In all things seek to know God’s will and when known obey at any cost.
- Seek to cultivate a quiet prayerful spirit.
- Seek each day to do or say something to further Christianity among the heathen.
These seven rules for daily living are certainly worth following for our King.
God bless, Mike